While I do love cooking, whenever I’m around my parents I tend to have them do most of the heavy lifting in the kitchen. They are both amazing cooks and I’ve learned most everything I know from them. My dad really is the creator in the family. You can give him a list of any ingredients or an idea of what you want to do and he can create something epic from them. This clam flatbread is one of those dishes. My dad and I were in the kitchen making some little appetizers one night and when I looked in their pantry, I saw some clams and my wheels started turning. We had just bought pizza dough the night before so I asked my dad to create a clam flatbread. We added lots of garlic and butter and when I looked in the fridge and saw bacon, we decided to throw that on there as well. It turned out amazing.
When I was there the last time to make tamales, we decided to make it again and photograph it for the blog. He made it and I photographed it, just like his chicken nachos. We made a few changes to the already delicious flatbread – added a garlic, butter, and parmesan “sauce”, and slightly modifying the crust, but really it was pretty much the same as the original. It’s simple yet delicious, and the perfect appetizer. Even though there are a ton of clams on this pizza, don’t let that scare you – it doesn’t taste fishy at all. In fact, the clams really mellow out with the addition of the garlic and bacon. It’s the best, quick, before-dinner snack, or great on its own.
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Store bought pizza dough, rolled out as thin as possible into an 11 inch circle
- 5 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 8 oz can of clams, drained
- Parsley, for garnish
- Begin by combining the butter, garlic, and parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. Pre heat an oven to 450 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, drizzle a little olive oil on the bottom and spread to coat to make a thin layer. Place the pizza dough circle on top of the olive oil. Place the dough in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes or until the dough is starting to brown slightly. Remove from oven and brush the butter, garlic, and parmesan mixture over the crust. Add the bacon and clams and place back in the oven for 3-5 minutes to warm everything and finish cooking the dough.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with parsley, and serve immediately.