One of my favorite meals that my boyfriend makes is his BBQ chicken. To be honest – when he first made it for me, I admitted that BBQ chicken never was a favorite of mine, but, I’m always up for trying something new and I was genuinely excited about dinner. I felt kind of bad for saying that upfront, but I wanted to let him know that if I didn’t end up eating a lot it wasn’t because it was his cooking, but it was more because I just never cared for it.
Well, imagine my surprise when I tasted it and it was the best. BBQ. Chicken. I’ve. Ever. Had. And since then, the chicken has been on our rotation of weeknight meals. While the recipe normally stays the same, we like to switch up our sauce every now and then. So, when Ogre Sauce (they’re local to Charlotte!) contacted me and asked me if I’d be interesting in helping them with their Kickstarter Campaign, I jumped at the chance knowing that this would be perfect on top of his chicken.
This sauce is seriously delicious – if you need a little zing added to any dish, this is the one you need to reach for. It’s a mixture of ketchup, mustard, and other spices and really amps up the flavor to anything. While my boyfriend and I plan on using this on his chicken very soon, I wanted to make something just a little different so I decided on a patty melt. A patty melt made with the Ogre Sauce. It was mind-blowing. I mixed it in with the meat to bring out the flavors even more, and then swapped the normal thousand-island dressing for a quick sauce made with mayonnaise and Ogre Sauce. It’s a must try.
If you’re a BBQ addict like we are then you need to head over to their Kickstarter and check them out! I promise you won’t be disappointed in the slightest – this stuff is addicting.
Full disclosure: I was given a bottle of this sauce to try, but no other compensation was given. It’s really that good (plus I love to help out local businesses!).
- 1/2 small yellow onion, sliced thin
- Olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp Ogre Sauce
- 3 Tbsp minced onion
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 8 slices of bread
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Ogre Sauce
- Mayonnaise + softened butter, for spreading
- Begin by browning the onions. In a medium skillet with a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat, place the onions and cook until soft and slightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, Ogre Sauce (you may choose to use more if you'd like!), and minced onions until mixed. Form into 4 thin patties, roughly the same size as your bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and cook the patties about 2-3 minutes a side until browned on both sides and the meat is cooked through to your liking. Depending upon how big your skillet is, do this in batches as to not overcrowd the pan.
- To assemble the sandwiches, first mix together the 3 Tbsp of mayonnaise and 2 Tbsp of Ogre Sauce. Set aside. Take one slice of bread and sprinkle some of the cheddar cheese on the bottom, top with a patty, followed by the browned onions and more cheese. For the top piece of bread, spread a thin layer of the mayonnaise and Ogre Sauce spread, then close the sandwich and repeat with remaining patties.
- Once assembled, spread one side of the sandwiches with a mixture of mayonnaise and softened butter (you can alternatively use one or the other, if desired). Place mayonnaise side down in a skillet and cook over medium heat until golden brown. Before flipping, spread the top half of the sandwich with a little more mayonnaise and butter, flip and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown.
- Remove, repeat with remaining sandwiches and serve immediately.
- You may want to make a little more of the mayonnaise + Ogre Sauce for dipping - that's exactly what I did!