This past weekend I went down to my parent’s house to celebrate my dad’s birthday (and to pick up Cooper!). The day after, we made a big feast of little dishes that included ribs, scallop sliders, macaroni and cheese, grilled skirt steak and bernaise, crispy fries, and creamed kale. Everything was absolutely delicious (I thinkkkk my favorite was the steak and fries – seriously so good, can’t even begin to describe). To top off that incredibly satisfying meal, my mom made her cheesecake pie for my dad’s birthday, and before we dug in, I requested some strawberry ice cream to go alongside.
The cheesecake is less dense and much creamier than a traditional New York -style cheesecake. It’s been something that my mom made frequently while we were growing up, and though I loved it, it at times was not sweet enough for me. When I want a dessert, sometimes I just want something sugary. If you’re trying to watch your sugar intake or just gravitate towards less-sweet desserts, then this one is for you. But, if you’re like me, you need something to amp it up; enter the strawberry ice cream. You can make your own or buy it from the store, but trust me when I say that the combination will blow you away. A bite of the creamy cheesecake mixed with the sweet strawberry ice cream – it’s the absolute best.
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Strawberry ice cream, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter and press into an 8" pie pan and up the sides.
- Pre-heat an oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy; gradually beat in the 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Pour the filling into the graham cracker crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
- In another bowl, stir the sour cream, 2 Tbsp sugar, and vanilla. Spoon the topping mixture onto the top of the baked pie and bake 10 minutes longer. Cool completely, then chill for several hours.
- Serve with strawberry ice cream.