I am BACK! I know, I know – it’s been more than a month since my last post – and I’ve been meaning to update long before this, but I’ve been so busy during my weekends that it’s just been impossible. A few weeks ago, I went camping with a friend up near Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina. I had never been up there so it was really fun getting to be in the mountains. I know I may not seem like the camping type, but I love sitting around a campfire, drinking beer, listening to music, and eating good food. Our first night we grilled rib eyes and corn on the cob and they were fantastic, then the next day we went out for pizza from a food truck at Appalachian Mountain Brewery and later BBQ (which, unfortunately, was not the best we’d ever had). We finished with breakfast on Sunday morning and drove around Blowing Rock and Boone and it was a pretty great weekend – minus the temperatures. I know that I always say that I love it when it’s cold, but that’s when I’m inside. We actually woke up to temperatures in the low 30s and it was mid-May!
While I was up there, I bought a couple of different local honeys, and I’ve been trying a waffle recipe which will hopefully be posted soon – so be on the lookout for that. In the meantime, this recipe is one I’ve been meaning to post for awhile and something that I make often whenever I splurge on crab meat. It’s a fresh take on a classic crab salad – it’s only a few ingredients, but the lime juice and jalapenos really punch up the flavor in a way that’s doesn’t overpower the crab. Gently fold the crab meat into the aioli, and season well, then place in the fridge for just a little to really let the flavors meld. Then, pile it high on slider buns or scoop it on a salad – and, this is totally optional, but I love the kick that the pepperoncinis give it, so sometimes I’ll put one on top. You can definitely add a generous sprinkling of Old Bay seasoning if you want – I do it from time to time and it always adds a great flavor, but you don’t necessarily need it here.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp chives, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds and de-veined, minced finely
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz jumbo lump crab, picked over for any shells
- Slider buns
- Pepperoncini, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, chives, and jalapeno. Mix well, season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Gently fold in the crab meat, season with salt and pepper and cover and place back in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
- To serve, take the slider buns and put a generous amount of watercress on the bottom bun. Top with the crab salad and top bun and serve with pepperoncinis.
A shot of the campfire, since I owe some pictures being posted after being gone for so long.