So, Jordan Speith won the Masters! It was an awesome and well-deserved win. I had my doubts that he’d be able to keep up his momentum, be he totally proved me wrong. The other great thing? Phil Mickelson (arguably my favorite pro) tied for second with Justin Rose. Phil had some incredible shots and as always, made it look effortless – that eagle he made on the 15th hole during the last round had me out of my seat – it was that exciting. One of the things that I admire the most is his humble and gracious attitude, and how he always looks like he’s having such a fun time.
To finish up the burgers for golf week (RBC Heritage is this week!) I wanted to end on The Phil; a classic, American cheeseburger topped with seasoned fries and a bacon mayonnaise. I chose two thin patties topped with cheddar and provolone cheese and piled the fries on top. A thick slice of red onion and a slathering of bacon mayo are all this burger needs to set it over the top.
- 2-3 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 Tbsp reserved bacon fat
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 4 sesame seed buns
- 4 slices of red onion
- Seasoned fries, baked or fried according to the package (if your fries are plain, add salt, pepper, and a dash or two of chile powder to taste and combine with the fries)
- Begin by combining the crumbled bacon, the bacon fat, and mayo in a small bowl. Cover and place in fridge until ready to use.
- For the burgers, make 8 thin patties out of the ground beef. Right before cooking, season with salt and pepper, then place on a grill or a frying pan over medium high heat. Cook on both sides until the burger has been cooked to your preference. During the last few minutes of cooking, place a slice of cheddar or provolone on the burgers (you should have 4 patties with cheddar and 4 patties with provolone). Repeat with remaining burgers.
- To assemble, spread a layer of the bacon mayonnaise on the top and bottom bun. Place a little lettuce on the bottom bun, then a burger topped with cheddar, followed by a burger topped with provolone. Top with red onion, seasoned fries and the top bun. Repeat with remaining burgers. Serve immediately.